Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Thanksgiving Week Update: 11/20/17


The first winter storm of the season is upon us - several inches of snow on the ground now, high winds, and a few school delays/cancellations. Just in time to make holiday preparation a bit more challenging. I have a 4WD vehicle and still plan to do major grocery shopping at Wegmans... it has to happen today!

Our Manhattan daughters arrive tomorrow (on separate trains!), my brother and his family are coming in from Philadelphia and Boston Wednesday, and my sister's German exchange student from several years ago currently has an internship in the US and will fly in Thursday morning. Twenty people will gather around our Thanksgiving table... definitely my favorite holiday.


Finished last week//


by Jessica Bruder 

I mistakenly thought this was a book about merry bands of retirees exploring America in big RVs. Wrong! Instead, I found myself engrossed in a tale of the American dream gone awry. There is a sizable (and growing) portion of 21st century retirees who roam the country living in vans, RVs, and even cars as they travel from job to job. They make up Amazon's CamperForce, filling a seasonal demand for warehouse help. They are the "workampers" of the sugar beet harvest in North Dakota or your summer hosts at KOA campgrounds. They flip burgers at concession stands during baseball's spring training or at 'premier tourist traps' like Wall Drug in South Dakota... all to make ends meet. The author took to the road in a van of her own for three years. Along the way, she befriended many in the community while learning of their hopes, struggles, and triumphs. A consuming, albeit slightly scary read.




Current reading//


Cork Dork by Bianca Bosker

Last week I started the audio version. This week I borrowed a print copy from the library, so now it's a read/listen combination. Who knew a book about wine could be this interesting? Very good so far.





I also brought this little gem home from the library last week. I think I've read it before, but for whatever reason it doesn't appear on any of my lists. Anna Quindlen is the best.



Up next//


Something light and quick would be perfect for the holiday weekend... like Winter Solstice by Elin Hilderbrand. I devoured the first three books of the series between Christmas and New Year last year. The fourth and final book might be perfect for Black Friday. I certainly won't be shopping!!

Or maybe one of the books I recently purchased at Book Culture... we'll see.


On the blog//
Review: Dear Fahrenheit 451  by Annie Spence
Nonfiction November, Week 3: Books About Books
It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (including thoughts on Reading People)


The week ahead//
Thanksgiving week means cleaning, then lots of cooking, followed by four days of nonstop family gatherings. Bring it on!



What are you reading this week? Any big plans for Thanksgiving?


This post will link to It's Monday, What Are You Reading? hosted by Kathryn at Book Date.
SaveSave

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar